Thursday 24 April 2014

BIKE_RUN TRANSITION PRACTICE IN BILBROUGH.

Bike to Run Transition with Son & Sun! by Nordic-Nomad at Garmin Connect - Details

Interesting work out of the day!

Well, the bike was a cinch compared to the weekends intense bike training (50/35mile) in the wind. Just a half hour pedal wasn't an issue. I think the villagers must have decided that I was even more eccentric than before, as I circled Bilbrough waiting for my half hour to clock up so that son (the bigger but shorter one!) was definitely ready and waiting to run. You know what young men can be like with timings, especially when they are metrosexual and going to make a rare public appearance!! The hair takes time!

So I lapped Harriet 3 times while circling the village awaiting for the final 6 minutes to dissolve away.  I wanted the experience a truly representative transition practice with all the pain & discomfort that I have heard so much about!

I've never tried this before but heard all the gory details of legs that try spinning like Billy the Whizz instead of just pounding the tarmac as per usual..

However, I must be one of the lucky few who are built for it. Or am I?? 100 yards in & my legs feel like lead as the blood pools in the calves & they wouldn't drive forward. Even as we hit the hill, where I normally have to hold back & reel myself in, I watched the Son (the stocky sporty one not the couch potato) easing away from me as he floored it down the hill. 10 minutes more & it eased off & I started to close the gap on him again until the inevitable 'Bush Break'. Why does that happen?

And then as if to taunt me, just as I caught up with him, I made the mistake of coughing (sorry Ian its still there) on hearing me, seeing me, feeling me, he opened up the gas again for a last burn up the hill to home.

Now lets go do it again on the Taddy course over the weekend!

One weekend to go and feeling truly ill prepared and exhausted after a simple, low mileage transition practice. Watch this space.




No comments:

Post a Comment